Catastrophic injuries, will forever alter your life. If you or a loved one has suffered such an injury due to someone else’s carelessness, it’s important to understand the challenges these cases bring and your rights to fair compensation.
Understanding Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are different from other injuries because they have such a big impact on your life. They can mean long-term or permanent disability, significant changes in how you live day-to-day, and a need for ongoing medical care. This can include injuries such as:
- Brain Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries affect your ability to think, remember, and control your body.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Can lead to paralysis or loss of movement and sensation.
- Severe Burns: Can cause lasting pain or scarring and require long-term treatment.
The Need for Substantial Compensation
Because these injuries are so severe, the harms and losses can be substantial. Examples include:
- Medical Treatment: This can include surgeries, physical therapy, and special equipment.
- Lost Wages/Income: If you can’t work anymore, or if you must work less, you lose income.
- Lifelong Care: Some injuries need ongoing care, which can be very expensive.
- Ongoing Pain, Loss of Physical and Mental Capabilities: The most significant and impactful loss you will sustain.
Challenges in Catastrophic Injury Cases
These cases can be more complex due to:
- Proving Long-Term Impact: It must be proven how the injury will affect you not just short term, but for the rest of your life.
- Calculating Fair Compensation: Figuring out how much compensation is necessary involves looking at medical bills, future care costs, and how your life has changed.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies often try to pay as little as they can. You must be prepared for a long fight.
How We Can Help You
In these cases, having a personal injury lawyer in Missouri can make a big difference. Here is some of what we can do to help:
- Gather Evidence: We collect medical records and talk to doctors to understand your injury.
- Work with Experts: Sometimes, we work with expert witnesses who can help explain your injury and what care you’ll need in the future.
- Fight for Your Rights: We talk to insurance companies and, if needed, go to trial to fight for the compensation you deserve and need.
Contact a St. Charles, Missouri Personal Injury Lawyer
Dealing with a catastrophic injury is hard, but you don’t have to face it alone. Understanding your rights and the legal process is the first step.
If you’re dealing with such an injury, contact us for help. We can guide you through each step, fight for your rights, and work to get you the compensation you need and deserve.
- What should I do if I or a family member has a catastrophic injury? Get medical help right away, and then talk to a lawyer about your rights.
- How is compensation calculated in catastrophic injury cases? It includes current and future medical costs, lost wages, and the impact on your quality of life.
- Can a lawyer really help with these complex cases? Yes, a lawyer can help gather evidence, work with experts, work to evaluate your full loss, and negotiate with insurance companies to fight for your rights.